Wednesday, 22 July 2015

CANADA POST’S NEW EREBUS STAMP

Several months ago I mentioned on my blog that I was working on several side projects related to HMS Terror. Today, Canada Post unveiled a series of new stamps commemorating the Franklin Expedition and the 2014 discovery of HMS Erebus. The stamps include a permanent se-tenant issue and an international-rate stamp, and I was fortunate enough to have been asked to contribute an historically accurate plan to their design of the international stamp. I also provided comments and feedback on the ship depicted in the se-tenant stamp.   

The international-rate stamp showing the sonar image combined with
the upper deck plans. Image courtesy of Canada Post, used with permission. 

The international-rate stamp combines a modern sonar image with an upper deck plan of HMS Erebus that I created. The complete upper deck plan is featured on an uncut press sheet and I also produced a cross-section of Erebus that will be included in packaging materials. The deck plan shows HMS Erebus in her 1845 configuration, which no contemporary plan depicts. This new plan is based on ones I created for HMS Terror, which I carefully modified to accurately match the dimensions, fittings, and features of HMS Erebus.


The permanent se-tenant showing Erebus trapped in ice. Image
courtesy of Canada Post, used with permission. 

When I started creating plans of Franklin’s ships, I never expected that they would be seen by anyone but hobbyists and Franklin enthusiasts. I couldn’t have guessed that they might be used in a project such as this – especially juxtaposed with a real image of HMS Erebus. I was shocked at how accurately the plans matched the sonar image, which exposes much about the technology used on the search and the accuracy of the historical source materials relating to Erebus.

It was a thrill to work with the talented designers and professionals from Canada Post, and I’m very pleased with the result. These stamps are a must-have for collectors interested in the Franklin mystery and the discovery of HMS Erebus.

17 comments:

  1. Many congratulations- a well deserved honor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINANCIAL RESTORATION THROUGH THE HELP OF JASON RAYMOND OF FUNDING CIRCLE LOAN INC: (fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622)..

      I'm Nathan Davidson a businessman who was able to revive his dying business through the help of a Godsent lender known as Jason Raymond the CEO of FUNDING CIRCLE INC. Am resident at 1542 Main St, Buffalo, NY.. Well are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good Credit Facility, I want you to know that FUNDING CIRCLE INC. is the right place for you to resolve all your financial problem because am a living testimony and i can't just keep this to myself when others are looking for a way to be financially lifted.. I want you all to contact this Godsent lender using the details as stated in other to be a partaker of this great opportunity Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622


      Delete
  2. My most sincere congratulations!

    It was fortunate the ship stayed on that position. It´s appearance is impressive, it looks even defiant. It seems she is saying: "Hey, I am still here! come and visit me"

    The idea of combining the shipwreck photos with the plans is simply great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. Their design is excellent, I agree. The artists and designers I worked with are extremely talented, and I felt like a mere hobbyist next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Wondderful and amazing performance. Plan is really great. The online scholarship essays is also one of the famous and great essay writing company.

    ReplyDelete


  5. Good Day !!

    I am Mis Nancy Leonard, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to reliable individuals.

    Services Rendered include:

    *Home Improvement
    *Inventor Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Loan
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.

    Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail:
    ptlenders@yahoo.com
    Yours Sincerely,
    Miss Nancy Leonard(MD)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Anita. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Anita, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius.View Email: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you need a loan to start a business of your own? we give out all kind of loan at a low interest rate of 3%. We give out loan from the minimum of 5,000.00 usd to the maximum 100 million dollars, pounds, euros, If interested, Contact us via email: johnoneil945@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you need an urgent loan ???? Get Money (Loans) in minutes!!!!
    kindly get in touch with us now on Email barclayloan2017@outlook.com or kindly contact us on WhatsApp number+ ‭2349034041447‬.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We offer fast and easy loan to everyone without any stress. Blacklisted are also welcome


    Hello dear loan seekers, are you a business man or woman, Are you
    tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess,have you been
    turned down constantly By your banks and other financial
    institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate
    bodies at low interest rate of 2%. If you are interested in taking a
    loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best
    services ever. Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you .
    What are your Financial needs?
    Do you need a business loan?
    Do you need a personal loan?
    Do you want to buy a car or a house?
    Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?
    Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion?
    Do you need to pay medical bills,
    Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your
    financial burdens still persists? Contact us with our valid emails:
    (anthonysa.agentloan@gmail.com)
    You can also call us or send message through whatssap : +12679065312
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply
    Please email us at: (anthonysa.agentloan@gmail.com) for an application form.


    ReplyDelete


  10. I want to testify on how i got my loan Hello everyone My name is Mis Susan Wanda am here to testify how i got my loan from Mr Leonard. After i applied several times from various loan lenders who claimed to also testify right in this forum,i thought the testimonies where real and i applied but they never gave me loan. I was in need of an urgent loan to start a business and i applied from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Leonard. who promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay. I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr.Leonard ,who are indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief.I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan,free feel to contact Mr.Leonard via his email {ptlenders@yahoo.com } Thank you may God bless you

    ReplyDelete